Importance of Panchkarma
- Removal of impurities from the body. Restoration of equilibrium and harmony in the body. Removal of negativity and enhancement of an optimistic feeling, improvement of mental, physical, and emotional well-being, and an enhanced sense of self-worth.
- Panchakarma removes free radicals, balances cholesterol and triglycerides, regulates blood pressure, and introduces antioxidant enzymes into the body. Boosts the bodies’ immunity levels. Slows the aging process.
- Panchakarma has been successful in treating chronic diseases and lifestyle disorders where treatment with allopathic medicines has its limitations.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, skin diseases, hemiplegia, epilepsy, insomnia, hypertension, cardiac problems, intestinal diseases, peptic and duodenal ulcers, ulcerative colitis and asthma are just some of the conditions which have proven results with Panchakarma.
At KARE the treatment is done by following these three steps
This is the preparation stage. Comprising of two procedures, Snehana and Swedana. Purvakarma prepares the body in prescribed methods to encourage it to release toxins. These methods help to dislodge the accumulated poisonous substances in the body, thus preparing them for their complete removal.
- Snehana is a full body massage with medicated herbal oils. Snehana moves the toxins towards the gastrointestinal tract by massaging the oil on the body in a particular manner. The oil also penetrates the skin leaving the deep tissues soft and supple.
- Swedana means sudation or seating. It is given every day immediately after Snehana. It further aims at loosening the toxins from the body. Swedana liquefies the toxins and facilitates their movement towards the gastrointestinal tract.
2. Panchakarma – five types of techniques or treatment (Pradhan Karma)
- Emesis Therapy – Vamana
The toxins accumulated in the body and the respiratory tracts are effectively removed by Vamana (therapeutic vomiting). Vamana therapy is suitable for treating a number of diseases including anemia, chronic indigestion, sinus problems, cough, cold, relieving pulmonary TB, lung conditions, skin diseases (e.g. eczema, psoriasis, leukoderma), diabetes mellitus, goitre, tumors, cough, asthma and obesity.
- Purgation Therapy – Virechana
The Virechana therapy is a purification therapy; cleansing the whole body from excess pitta accumulation, clearing toxins and purifying the blood. The treatment concentrates on the toxins accumulated in the liver and gallbladder thereby cleansing the gastrointestinal tract thoroughly.
This is also recommended as a rejuvenation therapy for the tissues and organs of the abdomen and skin. Virechana is an excellent method to heal various conditions like abdominal tumors, hemorrhoids, skin disorders, jaundice, chronic fever, poisoning, spleen and liver disorders, abscess, colitis, eye problems, ulcers, gout, and blood toxins.
- Nasal cleansing – Nasya/Shiro Virechana
Nasya includes inhalation of herbal oils, medicated powders, decoctions, oil drops, pastes, plant juices or infusions through the nasal route.
The medicaments administered through the nostrils pervade into the nervous system (Brain) and venous system (Blood circulation) present in and around the nostrils. The aggravated doshas (imbalance of either water, fire or air) above the region of the clavicle in the head and neck are eliminated through the nose by this process. Thus, it relieves the blockage of the channels and the diseases are cured effectively.
This therapy is especially recommended for diseases of the head and neck including the five sense organs. It is also used to treat migraine, chronic rhinitis, and epilepsy.
- Decoction or medicated oil enema therapy – Basti
This is a procedure in which an herbal decoction or oil is administered through the anus. It reaches up to the umbilical region, lumbar region and sides of the chest and flanks.
Basti is useful in chronic constipation, lower back pain, arthritis, sciatica, gout, and rheumatism. It also heals numerous neurological disorders like Parkinson’s disease, muscular dystrophy, hemiplegia, osteomylitis, osteoporosis, muscle and nerve atrophy.It helps in mental conditions such as Alzheimer’s, epilepsy, mental retardation, and sensory disorders. Basti has multidimensional utility; it can fulfill the purpose of elimination, palliation, nourishment and rejuvenation.
At KARE, we have had great success for various diseases like arthritis, neurological problems and other ailments with the help of Basti treatment.
- Bloodletting therapy – Rakta Mokshana
Rakta mokshana means blood-letting or getting rid of the toxins in the blood. This purifies blood, thereby promoting health and improving the patient’s immunity.
This is typically done either with the help of blunt or sharp instruments or using leeches. Bloodletting is useful when patients need immediate results with pitta disorders such as skin, liver, spleen, and conditions like gout, headaches and hypertension.
This is considered an important method to treat blood related and pitta related diseases. At KARE, we have had excellent results in treating patients with varicose veins by Rakta Mokshana therapy.
3. Paschaat Karma
Paschat karma is a third stage of panchakarma. It involves restoration of digestive enzymes and rejuvenation of the tissues. This is designed to nourish, strengthen, and balance the newly detoxified tissues. The aim is to establish increased energy level, strengthen the immune system, and increase longevity.