Some examples of respiratory illnesses and diseases include conditions like the ones mentioned below:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Pleural Effusion
- The Purification therapies like vamana(vomiting),virechana (purgation), basti(enema), nasyam (instilling nasal drop) pacifies the aggravated doshas.
- Yoga asanas like Adhomukha Svanasana, PrasaritaPadottanasana, Setubandha Sarvangasa,Halasana,Vipritakarni with proper guidance as well as the inverted poses open up the chest region. This not only relaxes the tight muscles of that area but the person also starts using areas of the lungs which had formerly consisted of ‘dead space’ due to bad posture, emotional tension and environmental factors. By doing inverted postures, circulation throughout the body is radically altered and areas above the heart receive on increased supply of blood due to the effect of gravity.
- The diet based on Ayurveda guidelines plays a vital role in the root cause of the ailment which often stems from digestion.
- Ayurveda therapies such as Shirodhara, Abhyangam, Swedanam and Kizhi are highly beneficial for relaxation and maintaining mental equilibrium.