- Kapha (water) predominance may cause increased weight, subfertility, hirsutism, diabetic tendencies and coldness.
- Pitta (fire) predominance may cause hair loss, acne, painful menses, clots and heart problems.
- Vata (air) predominance may cause painful menses, scanty or less menstrual blood and severe menstrual irregularity.
Modern treatment of PCOS aims to balance the hormonal imbalance with hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Hormones therapy further alters the endocrinal system and results in irreversible metabolic damage with an array of side effects.
At KARE Ayurveda Yoga Retreat, we treat this condition by an integrative approach that involves the following:
- Traditional Keralian Ayurvedic treatments which include Abhyangam, Udvartanam, Shirodhara and various Kizhi therapies. Our line of treatments may also include procedures such as the Panchkarma therapies like Virechana and Basti or Shaman which involves herbal medications. The line of treatment is decided after a detailed
- Iyengar Medical Yoga wherein assisted standing, sitting, backbends and inverted poses are performed which not only helps in maintaining the hormonal balance but also treats the underlying causes.
- Customized dietary changes further accelerates the disease reversal process
Thus adopting a holistic treatment, a healthy life style with appropriate diet, yoga, and stress-free living can prove to be effective in the management of PCOS.