Cardiac problems arise mainly due to improper diet and a stressful lifestyle. These can lead to the thickening of arteries (Dhamani praticaya) or hardening of arteries (Dhamani kathinaya) resulting in number of cardiovascular diseases like coronary artery diseases and ischemic heart disease which in turn can cause symptoms such as:
- Chest pain
- Chest discomfort
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in the neck, jaw, throat, upper abdomen or back
While heart disease has many components to it, its primary feature is a physical deterioration of the cardiovascular vessel walls. This can include clogging of the vessels with cholesterol and plaque, damaged areas due to increased pressure, and loss of vessel wall thickness.
The multi-modality treatment program at KARE – Ayurveda and Yoga Retreat includes Ayurvedic therapies, Iyengar yoga and freshly cooked vegetarian food. Our approach to heart disease is to identify foundational imbalances that give rise to cardiovascular disease. Ayurveda understands arterial plague to be toxic matter that builds up because the body is not able to get rid of it effectively.
Our three pronged treatment methodology helps to remove impurities and blockages, strengthen digestion, improve metabolism, and restore the body’s natural abilities to detoxify and heal.
- Panchakarma therapies aid in decreasing the cholesterol and improves the functioning of the heart
- Iyengar medical yoga improves the organ tone and increases the blood circulation
- Healthy diet for one’s optimal well being
The line of treatment is decided after detailed consultation and pulse diagnosis.
Typically, treatments that are prescribed are as follows:
- Mechanism of action, it improves the venous drainage towards the heart and improves the cardiac output
- Reduces sympathetic tone thereby reducing the heart rate and blood pressure
- Increases cardiac contractility
- Reduces inflammation
- Induces peripheral vasodilatation
- Reduces systemic vascular resistance
- Reduces fluid overload by removing excess fluid in the form of sweat
- Excrete out the extra salts from the body which is responsible for enema
- Dilates the blood vessels therefore reducing the load on the heart
- Reduces sympathetic tone hence reduces heart rate and blood pressure
- To reduce stress and high blood pressure / hypertension symptoms hence reducing the risk of cardiac problems.
- Induces local vasodilatation which increases the strength of respiratory muscle which increases respiratory capacity hence patient gets relief from complaint of DOE (Dyspnea on exertion).
- Improves myocardial contractility
- Reduces oxidative stress
- Reduces lipid overload
- Reduces water overload
Yoga Asanas are also very powerful tools in treating heart diseases. Guests are encouraged to continue the line of treatment once they go home and are provided with customized recommendations for their daily yoga sequence, diet charts and herbal medicines. Follow up consultations can also be arranged from time to time.